Monday, October 26, 2015

Reflection 8

You know, the more the semester progresses, the more excited I become about teaching. I think it's my passion.

Capture: 
In my ward, I am a Relief Society Instructor. I love this calling. It forces me to study the gospel, and I love how I always feel the Spirit when I teach.  Lately, I have been using my calling as an arena to  try to improve my technical teaching skills. Each lesson, I set specific goals based on what feedback I've received, typically from this class. My goals last week were to utilize proximity, and to have smooth transitions as people commented in class. 

Analyze:
The lesson actually went rather well. I focused on a few specific techniques.
1. Proximity. Throughout the lesson, I made a conscious effort to move around as I taught. I roamed tables and rows, trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible. 
2. The use of powerpoint allowed me both structure and versatility as I navigated the lesson. Having visuals also helped the class focus on the quote or question we were discussing.
3. I also really focused on making smooth transitions as people offered comments. 
4. Preparation for this lesson was fairly extensive, and so the familiarity with the material allowed me a lot of flexibility.

The lesson wasn't perfect, of course. I at times stumbled around my words, and filler words like "um" probably aren't going to be abandoned anytime soon. However, all things considered, this lesson served as a good checkpoint in my personal progress as a teacher, so I was excited about it.

Action: Build upon the strategies I used in this lesson for my next one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment