Thursday, October 8, 2015

Reflection 6 / first high school visit

Two great experiences excited me about teaching this week. 

1.  I coach a first lego league each week for 10 9-14 year olds. Despite the fact that we have 3 coaches, some weeks managing those kids is just plain rough. As the semester has gone on, I've tried to apply the things we are learning in class to my weekly meetings with these kids.  Through doing things like always calling the kids by name, supporting their (sometimes outlandish) ideas, and using proximity, we've seen a large improvement in the kids behavior and productivity. Having this weekly practice time has really helped me to solidify some of these teaching techniques, and I'm excited to continue. 

2. I observed Lindsey McMurdie today, and had a fabulous experience. I don't know if I enjoyed this observation so much because I love her subjects, or because she's the first female teacher I've observed, but either way, I loved it. She gave both me and Matt excellent advice on being a new teacher, working with administration, and she shared with us her curriculum. She reassured me that you don't have to know everything about every program to be a good teacher. This visit made me super excited about my career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment