Thursday, September 24, 2015

Reflection 4.

Today was my first experience in observing a junior high classroom. All of the things I had expected to see were there. Students, computers, machines, inspirational quotes on the walls, smart phones out on desks, enthusiasm for learning, etc. Just as I imagined, I really enjoyed being there, mingling with the kids as they went about their work. There was one thing though, that really caught me off guard.
It happened while I was assisting a group. James, one of the students, made some racist, off-hand comment about Mexicans. At first, I wasn't sure that I had caught the comment in context, so I didn't say anything... But as the next moments went by, and the comments persisted, I realized that my ears had not deceived me, and that his comments were actually really hurtful, especially considering that one of his group members was half Mexican. I forgot about this part of junior high.
I've reflected on this moment over and over the entire day. I've replayed what was said, by all of the kids in the group, what I said to try to stand up for the little 1/2 Mexican boy, what I didn't say, what I should have said. When I am a teacher, I will have a zero tolerance policy for racist comments and all other types of put downs. Now, in this situation, the teacher didn't know what happened, and I'm not assuming things about him, but in my classroom, from day one it will be known that my classroom is a place of respect for all people.
This is not the lesson I expected to get from my observation today, but its what happened, and I'm stickin to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment