Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Hold to the Ground You've Already Won.














Just before I left on my mission, someone very dear to me expressed some concerns they were having with their faith. They had so many unanswered questions, so many things they didn't understand...And it broke my heart to see this person struggling.

Throughout my mission, I have seen this same problem over and over. The Gospel of Jesus Christ provides many answers for the honest in heart, but it does not tell us every mystery of heaven at first glance. Faith and patience are required.

The counsel I gave this dear friend of mine, and the counsel I give to all who may be struggling is this:

"In moments of fear or doubt or troubling times, hold the ground you have already won, even if that ground is limited." -Jeffery R. Holland

We do not always understand why a loving Heavenly Father allows certain trials in our lives. We do not always understand what He is trying to teach us, or why our faithfulness seems to be so slow to be rewarded or answered. But we must not lose the spiritual witnesses of truth we have already gained. And surely, answers will eventually come. We must hold to the ground we have already won.

And so in the meantime we do all we can. We remain faithful. We read our scriptures and pray. We continue to seek guidance. We work as hard as we can. And then we wait in faith. And we look to the source of truth and light.

"Let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed" (D&C 123:17).

Jeffery R. Holland continues:
"When those moments come and issues surface, the resolution of which is not immediately forthcoming, hold fast to what you already know and stand strong until additional knowledge comes...The size of your faith or the degree of your knowledge is not the issue—it is the integrity you demonstrate toward the faith you do have and the truth you already know."

To all those who may feel forgotten, or like the Lord is not answering their prayers, I plead with you to be patient, to remain faithful, and to hold to the ground you've already won. I testify that we do have a Father in Heaven who loves us and is so aware of us. He does hear our cries, and He will answer them in His own time. 

"For a small moment have I forsaken thee, but with great mercies will I gather thee. In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment, but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the Lord thy Redeemer. For the mountains shall depart and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee" (3 Nephi 22:7-10)

If any of you are having a hard time recognizing answers to your prayers, or feel forgotten by God, message me on Facebook, let's talk about it and try to find answers together.

For a link to the rest of this INCREDIBLE talk by Jeffery R. Holland, click here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment